Thursday, December 30, 2010

Friends beside me

This has been one of the busiest years I can remember. I directed two plays,one of which I wrote, taught a new class, had to write two additional reports for the state and keep on top of all of the usual things. However as much as possible I tried to meet with my friends for a little R and R . Last week before Christmas, I had a few friends come for lunch, just Tomato Basil Soup and paninis. We opened gifts and talked for almost four hours, a rare luxury for us all. This is part of the group of friends from when I worked at the local public library. I feel so blessed that they are still in my life and even though we don't see each other as often as we once did.

A few days later I met my colleagues, current and retired, from the position I have now at a local restaurant . We talked and laughed for the next few hours. Some of the subjects were the same: elderly parents, children, grandchildren, upcoming weddings and health of spouses and other family members. As I reflected on the gifts I receive during this time of year, I place the gift of friendship I receive from these two groups of women at the top.

I am paraphrasing a quote on a plaque I saw when shopping with my sisters yesterday and thought of all of them, including my sisters:

"When it hurts to look back and you are afraid to look ahead; look to the side for the friends who are there to support you."

Thank you all for being at my side and here is to a healthy and better New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment